Thursday, February 29, 2024

On Having Enough

Note: Read to the end for a heartwarming video! 

…all rational beings who possess freedom of choice find themselves constrained to respect a “moral law,” whereby each person must give the interests of other rational/moral beings equal weight to one’s self interest; likewise all embodied rational beings should agree that a meaningful life, one that is truly worth living, must have an appropriate level of happiness. The problem is that following the moral law often requires us to sacrifice the very happiness we associate with life’s meaning.

- Stephen Palmquist, Introduction to Immanuel Kant’s Religion within the Bounds of Bare Reason, xx
 

…Paul says to Philemon, "Yea, brother, let me have joy of thee in the Lord." For if he had not added "in the Lord," but had only said, "Let me have joy of thee," he would have implied that he fixed his hope of happiness upon him, although even in the immediate context to "enjoy" is used in the sense of to "use with delight." For when the thing that we love is near us, it is a matter of course that it should bring delight with it. And if you pass beyond this delight, and make it a means to that which you are permanently to rest in, you are using it, and it is an abuse of language to say that you enjoy it. But if you cling to it, and rest in it, finding your happiness complete in it, then you may be truly and properly said to enjoy it. And this we must never do except in the case of the Blessed Trinity, who is the Supreme and Unchangeable Good.

            - St. Augustine, De Doctrina Christiana, Book I, Ch. 33, Art. 37

Every once in a while, I have these ongoing theological conversations with my best friend Kathy. Our dynamic is often that of a dialogue between one of faith and one of skepticism – she the former and I the latter. On several occasions, I’ve expressed to her such sentiments to the effect of “Well, Kathy, you have a beautiful home, a booming career, many friendships, and a family that will never abandon you. It’s easy for you to see the hand of God in your life. But I could imagine myself living an ascetic life, constantly thinking about God, praying and doing good works and all that, and I’d still feel like there was a huge hole in my heart from lacking the things that you have. So how can you say to me that God is the only thing that will give me lasting joy?” She then assures me that God wants me to be happy too, and that my hopes and dreams will fall into place according to His timing. And then of course, I respond to her with my usual skepticism, but it is always comforting to hear from her – a person I deeply respect – that God also cares about my happiness.

Following the afternoon service last Ash Wednesday, I had the honor of joining the Fritz family for dinner. At the table, we each shared what we were giving up (or taking on) for Lent. At that time, I couldn’t really think of a good answer. Now, after further reflection, I think there is something difficult for me to let go of, but that would nonetheless be good for my soul if I did. This Lent, I will try to fast from a little bit of skepticism!

There is a prayer by St. Ignatius of Loyola, called the Suscipe prayer, which beautifully expresses the total resignation of one’s life to God. It goes:

Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my entire will, all that I have and call my own. You have given all to me. To you, Lord, I return it. Everything is yours; do with it what you will. Give me only your love and your grace, that is enough for me.

- St. Ignatius of Loyola

Our hymnal has a poignant musical setting by Dan Schutte, based on the same prayer. The hymn is entitled These Alone Are Enough. Below is an excerpt of it, sung by our youth cantor, Eloise Mascitti, at the 9am parish-school Mass last Ash Wednesday.


With my peace,
Carlo Serrano, Music Director

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Life

September 29, 2024 26th Sunday in Ordinary Time The day was a Sunday two years ago: September 25th, 2022. It was the 26th Sunday in Ordinary...