Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Gift Exchange

November 19, 2023                    33rd Sunday in Ordinary Time

Jerome: He that had received five talents, that is, having received his bodily senses, he doubled his knowledge of heavenly things, from the creature understanding the Creator, from earthly unearthly, from temporal the eternal.
[...] Origen: Or, They that have their senses exercised by healthy conversation, both raising themselves to higher knowledge and zealous in teaching others, these have gained other five; because no one can easily have increase of any virtues that are not his own, and without he teaches others what he himself knows, and no more.

- St. Jerome and Origen in Thomas Aquinas' Catena Aurea
 

This Sunday's Gospel reading is the well-known parable of the talents. We often associate talent with being skilled in a certain profession. Some imagine God as a robed old man in the sky, looking down at every infant and thinking, "I'll make this one a musician, and this one a tennis player, and this one an exceptional public speaker." He then sprinkles some holy dust on the babies and poof, you've got a musical genius! Under that view, if I fail to develop my muiscal skill or choose a path other than music, I'd be wasting the gift and messing up God's plan. I tend to be critical of this view. My own opinion is that God's gifts are much more subtle.

If you asked me, I would not claim to have the gift of music. Allow me to explain. I've always had a pesky penchant for asking "Why???" As a kid, I was most fascinated by science, math, psychology, philosophical questions (e.g. is it selfish to do good because you want to feel good about yourself for doing good?) and theological questions (e.g. why are there different religions and how do I know if I'm in the right one?). My specific musical discipline is music theory, which is that field concerned with all the "why's" in music: Why do some combinations of notes sound more pleasant than others? Why does that part of a song make people feel all warm and fuzzy inside? Why are some melodies harder to sing than others? If God had ever given me a gift, I think it was the gift (and burden...) of a questioning heart, one that scrutinizes everything -- yes, even the faith (Sorry!!!). Under this view, my current profession indicates the path I chose out of my human free will, i.e. the path of music instead of science or philosophy; but the steps I took along that path were those of one given a love of questions. "The human heart plans the way, but the LORD directs the steps." (Proverbs 16:9) 

That may explain why I can teach music, but I cannot make people inquisitive. Speaking of teaching, this past week saw the conclusion of our parish musicianship training class, as well as the Meeting Christ in Prayer class. My friend Kathy and I exchanged thoughts about our respective programs and explored areas for improvement, should we decide to offer them again next year. Her gift, I speculate, is a listening heart (1 Kings 3:9) -- a heart that listens to God, to people, the sick, the poor, the confused, the faithful, and yes, the questioners. I see it in how she talks to servers at restaurants, how she parents her kids, in her profession as a women's health coach, in her contemplations of the Holy Spirit's whispers -- everything about her screams a listening heart. Had she made different choices, I imagine she would have made an excellent therapist, HR manager, or spiritual director. But I'm glad she made the choices that led her here, otherwise I'd have never experienced the grace of her listening heart, and we'd have never exchanged gifts.
 

Now it is a greater perfection for a thing to be good in itself and also the cause of goodness in others, than only to be good in itself. Therefore, God so governs things that He makes some of them to be causes of others in government; as a master, who not only imparts knowledge to his pupils, but gives also the faculty of teaching others.
- St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologiae, Ia q103 a6

 What special gift do you hold? If you are unsure, perhaps it is one of those very subtle gifts just waiting to be unlocked.

With my peace,
Carlo Serrano, Music Director

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Life

September 29, 2024 26th Sunday in Ordinary Time The day was a Sunday two years ago: September 25th, 2022. It was the 26th Sunday in Ordinary...